What is Connect
It also aims to improve the travel infrastructure by giving people more travel options, reducing car usage and lowering carbon emissions.
It also aims to improve the borough’s travel infrastructure giving people more travel options, reducing car usage and lowering carbon emissions.
CONNECT works with businesses through consultation with staff, initiatives and incentives are introduced to help people make informed decisions about the way they commute.
We also work with educational establishments, residents and commuters to increase awareness of the range of travel options available to them.
In addition, through the CONNECT for Communities project a travel advisor will work with unemployed people and community groups to help them access training and employment opportunities.
- The average family spends 10% of their disposable income on fuel – that’s more than on food
- The average commuter will spend the equivalent of five working days in slow traffic
- 25% of all car journeys in Britain are under two miles, that’s about a 30 minute walk or 12 minute bike ride. 59% are less than 5 miles
- If we all swapped one car journey a week for walking, car traffic levels would reduce at least 10%
- About a third of all journeys we undertake are less than a mile. A mile is about a 20 minute walk
- Walking burns as many calories as jogging over the same distance